October 9, 2014

Book Club



The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

Our August book club choice was another hit all around. Granted, we only had two members at the "meeting" since August was such a hectic month with school starting (one of our members is a teacher and two others have school aged children). We did learn, via text, that everyone was in agreement again. Another 5 star book for us! 

The book is written in the form of letter correspondence between the book's characters. I will admit it was a slow start for me learning who was who and keeping each character straight. The authors did a wonderful job of giving each character a unique voice and style of letter writing. I was interested to realize that towards the end of the book, I was able to recognize who's letter is was without looking at the name. The book is very historical in nature, set in 1940s, war struck England. The language was beautiful and I wished the book had not ended (although it had a lovely ending!). I've heard whispers of a possible movie adaptation which I would be very interested in seeing! 

Any recommendations for next month?

No comments:

Post a Comment